Monday 9 June 2014

A New Beginning.

Today I decided to re-start an old project, to long reining Scarto. I've started this work already last summer since I really like this form of training. He have no problem with the long reins against his sides or back, but since he´is really sensitive in his mouth and starts to panic if he´is not completely comfortable with the pressure in his mouth I had a hard time to come somewhere at that time since he also had trouble to understand why to move forward in the arena (in his mind we people are really stupid, what´s the point in going around and around at the same place). But today it went really well, yes he´s still sensitive and have trouble to understand exactly what I ask him for but he tried and was so much more comfortable even the times he got a bit confused.

In the end he trotted around at a big circle, with a nice contact at each rein, relaxed and seemed to enjoy the workout. So I'm definitely gonna continue to work with the long reining and not just lungeing as I have done until now. I think it´s important to have a complement to the riding, to build strenght at your horse from the ground and it also gives an extra variation to your daily training.

That´s all for now, tomorrow Scarto have a scheduled day off and in the evening I´ve got a couple of lessions for children in their beginning of their career as riders. More about my role as an instructor will be up here soon.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he did great! Long reining is definitely an important addition to training :) And great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katherine, I'm glad you found your way to my blog and yes I was really pleased with how well he worked yesterday. I will take a look at your blog as well! :)

    ReplyDelete